Monday, February 05, 2007

So This Is Rock n Roll.... I Like It!!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I got this record about a month ago from Reflections Records. The artwork is some of the best I've ever seen. In my opinion this is No Turning Back's best album to date. They seem to have progressed to the point where they've found their niche. I guess you could describe their sound as a more metallic more pissed off youth crew hardcore. Aram Arslanian does guest vocals on the song "Alive or Dead" and it comes out really well, that song is one of the best on the record. The lyrics for every song are well written, honest, and in your face. Which is what I've come to expect from this band. This is a rad record and I'm glad i was able to pick up this cool looking vinyl.

Speaking of European hardcore, Apparently the new Justice record is really good. I've only heard 3 songs and I'm really liking what I've heard so far. Also, if anyone reading this knows of a band called Asptai from somewhere in Europe, i can't remember which country, let me know where i can hear more of their music. I stumbled across a few of their mp3's a couple years ago and haven't heard anything about them since.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I also got No Trigger's "Canyoneer" and this Down To Nothing 7". No Trigger plays melodic hardcore punk like Strike Anywhere or Crime In Stereo. It reminds me of some of the mid 90's Fatwreck releases, its a little more polished than i would like but its still a solid record. As for the DTN 7", i haven't even heard it yet, i can't find it anywhere on mp3 format on the Internet. I need alot more $$$, a bigger apartment, and really good speakers before i get a record player.

6 comments:

xroldx said...

The new NTB record is definately awesome. They've come along way from their first shows and sound.
I've been following this band forever and think the line-up right now is the best yet. Especially with Dax on guitar the oldschool sound should be even better on next releases (like the split that's gonna come out with Internal Affairs).

I would suggest you to pick up something from Reaching Forward as well as this was the youth crew band that Dax and Sjarm 13 (Modern Life Is War) were in years ago.

Tyler said...

That's awesome about the split with IA, it will be interesting to hear it.

As far as Reaching Forward goes. I've heard so many good things about that band, i've just never really taken the time to give them a solid listen. I need to though, im sure i can pick up some of their stuff through Reflections.

Mike said...

Nice looking vinyl!

I heard a new Justice song and the first thing I thought of was Supertouch. meh, Supertouch never did much for me, and if that is the sound they are going for, I'm not sure if I'll dig it.

Reaching Forward did a cover of Manliftingbanner, so they get points for that!

xroldx said...

Reaching Forward we're a couple of my best friends, I drove them around Europe and the UK. They get lots of points for that.

The new Justice is definately something different it's slow and less in your face. The lyrics are way better, they remind me of the lyrics on Shelters' When 20 summers pass.
They reflect on being in a band, touring a lot and how that effects you as a person.
What I like the most about the new Justice record is drummer though, cause that is Daanslide (ex Strip The Threads, Downslide, Razor Crusade and currently State Of Mind). He's one of the nicest guys around in Dutch hardcore.

Tyler said...

Mike - I've heard three songs from the new Justice and it definitely has a Supertouch vibe to it. Theres just something about Justice that a really like, i don't think they could make a record that i couldn't dig.

Rold - I can't wait to get the Justice record in the mail, i'll have to sit down and read the lyrics when i do. Strip The Threads... that was the youth crew band you were in a few years back right? Any idea where i can hear some mp3's?

xroldx said...

Tyler www.myspace.com/stripthethreads is the place for some songs.

I was in the band for two shows and we were supposed to do a record for Crucial Response which never happened.

If you like Chain of Strength you'll love this band as well.