Monday, June 04, 2007

Time Marches On




Go It Alone have been one of my favorite bands ever since i heard the Vancouver Gold EP. Then, after the The Only Blood Between Us was released i was even higher on this band. Needless to say i was anticipating GIA's second full length pretty intensely.

Initially i was a little disappointed in the progression of their sound. I heard the Histories Single and i was really impressed but when i first heard the full length it seemed like the band had lost a bit of their edge. I wasn't going to give up on it that easy, so i listened a few more times and sat down with the lyric sheet and let Histories grow on me. The more i listen to this record, like any previous GIA record, the more i appreciate it. This record is more mid-tempo but it's just as furious. It's more hard hitting and has more a dreary rain city vibe to it.

Histories is also more of a themed record. I think that's one of the reasons i like it so much, it really shows the creativity of vocalist Mark Palm. The record seems to flow flawlessly from one song to the next without losing any steam. Songs like 'Monastery' and 'Rapture' have a more typical GIA vibe lyric wise. While a song like 'Love' shows the sincerity put into the lyric writing. Of all the songs this band has written i think this one is the most easily related to and one of the most beautifully written.

I'm sure there are those who will just stop listening to this band given their relative "popularity" within the hardcore scene. But it's their loss. I can't wait to see this band in August, i guess then we'll see if they've been disbanded to join the heap of "unhipular" bands that came before them. In any case, this record is great, listen to it.


"Love "

I never felt the ache of being alone, never sensed an empty space inside myself. Never felt the urge to fill a void with the presence of someone else. But you uncovered a feeling inside of me, unfamiliar and unique. Created a vacancy within where one never used to be. Dear absentee, dear missing piece, I've missed you since the day we met. Dear truant friend, dear tune stuck in my head that i cant forget....a lost memory, an errant wish, you were a missing limb; every morning i had to wake up and realize you were gone all over again. An unfinished sentence, an interrupted thought, a name on the tip of my tongue. An unsent letter, an unopened book, a lyric left unsung. Dear absentee, dear missing piece, I've missed you since the day we met. Dear truant friend, dear tune stuck in my head. Dear you....I've got these feelings inside, somehow i always knew you'd understand. they've been laying dormant for a lifetime. I'm waking up for the first time.

3 comments:

xroldx said...

Holy shit, awesome record though I was rather dissapointed with their live performance the last time.
I see you've got a copy on red, lucky bastard!

I don't know about Canada but GIA isn't a popular band round here in Europe, only some Germans seem to be really into the band.

Mike said...

I hate you for getting it on red vinyl...I only have it on black and white. Damn you!
Funny when I heard the single I was thinking it was just okay, but I liked it more when I heard the LP.

Tyler said...

I think GIA are more popular on the West Coast but they do seem to get a fair amount of hype in general.

Hahahaha, i was pretty happy when i saw i was one of lucky pre-orders to get a copy of the friends press. Especially since i really like this record.