Thursday, January 03, 2008

Best of 2007

2007 seemed like a bit of an off year in terms of punk and hardcore music. There were a few releases that really grabbed me but beyond that i wasn't too excited about much. There were plenty of good records released, just not many great ones.

With that said the year prior had a lot of great records released, there's really no way this year could compare. Last year picking my top 10 was way too hard, this year the top five were easy and after that i had some trouble. The "Honorbale Mentions" category for this year is huge just because so many records i listened to this year were good but were just lacking that final knock out punch.

Anyway, I'll get on with this. I might add a category or two more to this years edition, we'll see how it goes as i work my way through the cobb webbs of the year that was.

Top 10 Releases of 2007

1. True Colors - Focus On The Light

I wrote about this record earlier this year so i won't too in depth. Here's a link documenting my unrelenting praise for this record.

Positive energy oozes from this record. It's pretty typical Youth Crew both lyrically and musically but there just enough originality and edge to help earn this record the #1 spot on my list. I'm sure I'll be vehemently disagreed with on this, but i really can't think of another record more deserving of this spot.

2. Bitter End - Climate of Fear

This record is crushing, i'm usually not huge on metallic hardcore but this record is nearly perfect when it comes to this genre. The vocals are downright venemous and the words being spewd don't lack an ounce of conviction.

Musically there are some really catchy melodic riffs, and some really cool building to burst apart bass lines, just enough to maintain a sharp edge. There's plenty of punishing breakdowns, they just don't sound overly typical. There's a diversity evident in this record that is rarely shown within this genre. Combine that with near perfect production and well written, well thought out lyrics and this record gets the # 2 spot on my list. I can't wait to see what waits ahead for this band.

3. Go It Alone - Histories

This was Go It Alone's second and final full length LP. I thought everything they had put out up to this record was some of the best stuff modern hardcore had to offer. Needless to say my expectations were high. After an initial let down, i let this record grow on me and now it ranks right up there with the rest of GIA's discography. The rager songs on this record rage at a level of furiousity that's hard to top.

I won't go into to much detail, i wrote about this earlier in the year after i recieved one of the more limited copies in my Rivalry Records pre-order. Click here if you want to read more.

4. The Geeks - Every time We Fall

Seoul Korea's finest. The Geeks really stepped it up this time. This record towers above their previous efforts in so many ways. The production is cleaner than before but still raw enough to maintain the sincere emotion that makes this band so fun to listen to.

Musically they mesh better, the vocals are more controlled but still unrelenting enough. I really can't say enough about how much this record rules. One listen is explanation enough.

I wrote about this record earlier in the year as well. Click here to see the cool vinyl from Get Outta Town Records.

5. Lifetime - Self Titled

I couldn't have asked for a more triumphant return for this band. Amidst all the cynical talk surrounding these reunions i knew this band would pull through. They did and then some.

This record might even be better than Jersey's Best Dancers. That's a bold statement given the timelessness associated with Lifetime's previous work. You would expect that no matter how good another Lifetime record is, it would never be able to live up to the precedent set almost a decade ago. But somehow this record's done that. Anyone who doubted Yemin's prowess regarding this brand of hardcore punk really needs to check their head. Everything the guy touches is gold and this is no exception.

6. Get The Most - Moment in Time EP

Get The Most's follow up to 2006's Common Goals EP, is pretty much just as expected. More catchy, generic youth crew that hasn't strayed far from their most glaring influences. This record is beyond fun and incredibly positive and upbeat.

Don't let the vibe of the record throw you off though. There are some words that need to be heard even if they're just reinforcing what we already know. A record like this will always appeal to me, they could make 10 more EP's sounding exactly like this over the next 10 years and they would probably all find their way into my year ending top 10 lists. One more thing. The drumming on this record absolutely shreds.

7. Shook Ones/Easel - Split EP

The three Shook Ones songs on this split are probably my favorite stuff they've released to date. That's saying something considering how much i like Sixteen and Facetious Folly Feat. The opening track Order Form is classically catchy, the way the vocals bend and twist with the music is really fun to listen to. They cover the song Bad Year originally by Seaweed to finish off their side of the split and do more than an admirable job.

The Easel side of this split is great musically but i don't speak Japanese so it's a little hard to understand the lyrics. Other than that minor detail i really like this band. They sound a lot like early Lifetime, not as good but pretty close and that's good enough.

8. Smoke or Fire - This Sinking Ship

Above This City was one of my favorites in '05 so i was eagerly awaiting This Sinking Ship. With this record Smoke or Fire don't stray too far from their previous material. It's a little more mature in the lyric department and maybe a 1/2 step slower. I don't know if it's better but it certainly isn't a regression.

Being on Fatwreck it's pretty easy to predict what this band will be about. It's melodic punk with socially and politically conscious lyrics. There are some things that don't need to change and this is formula that works great for Fatwreck and a lot of the bands they work with.

If Smoke or Fire can up to this level for records to come they'll be another band added to an already stacked list of great Richmond punk bands.

9. The Swellers - My Everest

I decided to give this record a chance when i heard there was a bunch of young kids playing melodic skate/pop punk. I had put off checking these guys out for a long time , i guess i was doubting that kids barely out of high school could reach back a decade or so and play the stuff i grew up listening to.

I'm really happy i gave this record a chance, not only do these guys play this style, they excel at it. It may be a little too polished at times and there are a couple acoustic tracks i could do without but the bulk of this record is so much fun to listen to. I'm glad kids are still playing this style and not letting it be too watered down and just become plain old pop punk. These kids can shred, here's to hoping they keep it up.

10. Career Suicide - Attempted Suicide


This is what hardcore punk is. It's what it started as and there will always be a place for it. These Toronto dudes are taking it back more than a few years and with Attempted Suicide they do it with unrelenting precision.

I can't stress how much this record rips from start to finish. It doesn't relent one bit. Compared to their earlier material it isn't much different it's just a lot more precise, it's probably the most in sync record of the year in that regard. I can't even think when i listen to this record, it puts me in a state of paralysis.

Honorable Mention:
  • Sinking Ships - Ten EP
  • I Rise - Down EP
  • Down To Nothing - The Most
  • Soul Control - Involution
  • Modern Life Is War - Midnight In America
  • Justice - Escapades
  • Allegiance - Desperation
  • A Wilhelm Scream - Career Suicide
  • In Stride - Place of Decay EP
  • Ruiner- Prepare to Be Let Down
  • Ambitions - Stranger
  • To The Lions - Baptism of Fire
  • Only Crime - Virulence
  • Strung Out - Black Hawks Over Los Angeles
  • The Swellers - My Everest
  • Red Handed - Wounds Remain
  • Loud and clear - Self Titled
  • Common Cause - Statement of Purpose EP
  • Circles - Demo
  • Hostage Calm - Demo
  • Blacklisted - Peace On Earth, War On Stage
  • One Voice - Break Free EP
  • Government Warning - Arrested
  • Go It Alone - Histories Single
Best Show:
Go It Alone August 23rd @ Adrift.
One of the best Toronto shows in a long while. I wrote something about, click here.

Runner Up: The First Step sometime in April @ Adrift. Not a whole lot of people were there but there was enough kids into it and TFS always bring the energy.

Best Song:
Go It Alone -
Relics
This is kind of a weird category, you can't really pick one song. But, if i had to choose right now this song would be it . The lyrics are some of the best written by the band, they give off an eerie hopefulness if that makes any sense. Musically the song builds from a slow paced hard-hitting intro into the furious pace Go It Alone kept up so well throughout everything they released. Seeing them open with this song in August was awesome, one of the highlights of this past Summer.

Best Up and Coming Band:
Hostage Calm
I wouldn't have made this category if not for the emergence of this band from the ashes of At All Costs. This band rules and their only getting better, think Ignite mixed with In My Eyes.

Best Record Not Released in 2007:
Good Riddance - Operation Phoenix
Even though this record was released 8 years ago it's words still pierce the air with an unsettling urgency. This is by far Good Riddance's most hard hitting album, it's probably their angriest and most politically motivated as well.

I could have picked any album by this band, I've found myself listening to them more and more as the year has progressed. Some albums speak to you more than others, this is an album that at times seems to speak to the core of who i am, there isn't much more meaningful than that.

Looking Forward....
I don't really know what this year holds music-wise. I don't really care, if it's good i'll hear it.

Moving away from the music front, i might start an additional blog to this one where i'll put essays and other ramblings. I want to start building the basis for something a little more substantial, that might be the place to start.

I'll be finishing my 3rd year of school and not a second too soon, i want to be finished now. Provided everything goes smoothly, and it better, i only have a total of 9 months left sitting in a classroom with surprisingly low amounts of stimulus flowing through my brain. And not because I'm brain dead.

2008 will be a better year, there was nothing glaringly wrong with 2007 but nothing went overly well either. Hopefully i'll be veering closer and closer to the potential my future holds in '08, hopefully I'm consistently doing that. I know, its stupid to judge things year by year.... what's time anyway.



    4 comments:

    Mike said...

    I always love reading your yearly recap. I've been meaning to do the same thing, but just can't seem to set aside the time to do it. I still need to check out Career Suicide, and I completely forgot that The Geeks LP came out in 2007.

    Tyler said...

    Haha yeah man. I had to set aside a serious amount of time for this. Not so much the actually writing of it but trying to remember everything that came out last year and what i felt was worthy of a spot on the list. That took a while.

    Check out Career Suicide. Better than Government Warning for current stuff.

    Mike said...

    My top three for the year would have been Get the Most, Nothing Done, and Down to Nothing. I will definately check out Career Suicide. I remember hearing one of their songs on a last.fm radio station and really liked what I had heard.

    Tyler said...

    Ohh man i forgot about Nothing Done, i don't know if I've heard their new stuff, I have the idiot stomp 7" but i couldn't find there new stuff anywhere. They probably would have made my list.