Sunday, March 30, 2008

Weathered to the Bone

I've been listening to Leatherface a ton lately. They're the type of band that if i let myself listen to them just a bit i'll be hooked for a few weeks, they have a really contagious sound. If your not familiar with them, they have a really raw and emotional melodic punk sound. The songs are full of great melodies but there is an undeniable authenticity within the production of the guitars and especially the vocals. At times it's hard to decipher what words are being sung just because the vocals are so raspy.

I've been listening mostly to their second last release "Horsebox" it was released around 2000 i think. Outside of maybe Mush this is my favorite record by them. I think this record is probably their most daring, i mean they attempt a Cindy Lauper cover, the song True Colors, they nail it like no other band could. Ship Song is different song as well, its a bit slower and driven by a piano which actually fits well with the band. Sour Grapes and Watching You Sleep are two more stand out songs, both of those songs are extremely catchy. When i say they're catchy it's only because i can't think of a better word, i never really find any of the songs stuck in my head, maybe that's why i enjoy them so much, they don't wear out. There's no use in saying anymore, if you haven't heard this band go buy their records. I would recommend starting with either this one or Mush, or if you want to go back to the start, start with Cherry Knowle. Either way, if you like punk rock in any way whatsoever you won't be disappointed. I know this band is somewhat obscure, hiding out in the North Eastern part of the UK, but they're essential for anyone into any type of music in my opinion.

Speaking of Leatherface, after being out biking nearly everyday this winter my face has been subject to some rather harsh conditions. I'm so glad it's over, or at least we think it's over. This has been the worst winter i can remember. It hasn't been this consistently cold in years, nor have we had this much snow in a long time. I think the city of Toronto is near breaking the all-time record for snowfall set in the 1930's. I don't think we will though, mother nature isn't likely to give me that badge of honor. We have a bit of a volatile relationship, which is a pointless, she always wins and all i ever do is whine about it.

My bike has taken the brute of the punishment, i can hear the chain grinding the sand through the gears wearing them out as i peddle, as soon as the roads are cleaned up I'm going to need to take everything apart, clean it, grease it, and maybe get some replacement parts. That won't be enjoyable, although i will enjoy riding a good bike again. Here are pictures of my bike freshly spray painted last spring and then after all the torment it's endured. I don't know why I'm posting them.
Before

After

5 comments:

Mike said...

I bought the Leatherface split with Hot Water Music. Uggg...the Leatherface half did nothing for me. I have to skip their songs whenever I listen to that CD. :)

Tyler said...

Haha. Thats too bad. I've never heard that split so i couldn't tell you.

You should like it though, I've heard Leatherface referred to as "old guy punk" numerous times. ;)

Mike said...

Oh, you didn't just go there, did you?

Tyler said...

Haha, pulled out the age card.

Just for future reference, you can feel free to insult the naivety of my youth anytime you want.

Mike said...

Probably "true till 23". :)