Friday, July 04, 2008

Draw the Connections

There's been quite a few new releases come out lately by bands that I've either been interested for a while now or have just been getting to know. The new Police and Thieves 7" out on Youngblood Records rips, i'll do a full review when I've had more time to listen to it. I received the new Killing the Dream LP last week from Deathwish, upon initial listen i wasn't impressed but i liked it much more upon the second listen and more the third time through, I'm not overly impressed with the lyrical content, after sitting down with the spiffy looking gate fold layout and reading the lyrics while listening to each song respectively i can't say that there's anything new or even remotely groundbreaking being said, although there doesn't always have to be and I'm sure the writing process was helpful for their singer.

One of the recent releases I've really enjoyed is Hostage Calm's debut LP "Lens". I love melodic hardcore punk when it's done right and this band does this style justice and then some. I've likened this band to Dag Nasty a couple of times now, if not entirely based on their sound it's because i can hear the ingenuity of their approach to the melodic punk sound, similar to what Dag Nasty was able to accomplish with "Can I Say". I'm not suggesting that this album at this point is in the same stratosphere as "Can I Say" but there is something about this record and this band that's unique enough to have even a fraction of the lasting impact of the aforementioned band and record and that, although seemingly pales in comparison is a feat not many in the 22 years leading up to this have been able to match. "Lens" is driven by a fast paced melodic rhythm that's present throughout every song but ultimately it's the vocalist who catapults each and every song beyond what the music gives potential for. It's in this aspect that i see the Dag Nasty comparison most glaring. The lyrics are equal to the vocal wizardry, without words worth singing there's really no point in singing. The lyrics are, like contemporaries Strike Anywhere and Verse, a call for change, really an urgent plea for our generation to wake up and even though that might sound cliche, it would only be cliche if we weren't all sleeping. Speaking of Strike Anywhere, there are more than a few moments on this record where the similarities between the two bands arise, in a song like Interchangeable Parts the Strike Anywhere comparison is easy to pin point. Audible and Lacuna are two songs with incredible melodies and really showcase the potential this band has while song like Nosebleed Section and Grayscale showcase a more stripped down approach. There isn't a weak point on this record, at least not that i can see in the 25 - 50 times I've listened to it, if you're into melodic punk, political punk, hardcore punk or whatever, just good sincere music with a message check this record out. Their demo, released last year is also really good, you can pick it up at the following link.

If not at your local record store, pick it up here: http://www.andnowthisishappening.com/

Currently Listening: Craig's Brother - Homecoming

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lens is the best record ever.

xroldx said...

I agree on you about Killing The Dream. It's not the record I expected. To me it sounds like American Nightmare version 2.1 and how many lyrics can your write about your girl. What I always wonder about lyrics like that, how in hell are you going to feel the same way three years after when you're still playing those songs, but might be in a great relationship?

Tyler said...

Yeah, lyrics like that are hard for me to relate to. I get that they're beneficial for the guy writing them but that's where my interest ends.

Mike said...

I may have to check out that Hostage Calm record. I liked, but never really got into Killing the Dream, and haven't been very interested in tracking down the new album.

I like the new title banner for your blog. It chops off the title, but I like the the look. I wish I knew how to add something like that to my blog.

Tyler said...

Mike, you can add a banner, or a title picture, or whatever through the layout settings page. If you have photoshop or any photo editing programs just manipulate the photo the way you want it before uploading it to your blog.

Mike said...

Thanks Tyler. I may have to look into that.