Tuesday, July 15, 2008

No more Complacency

Out of the plethora of music that i listen to and in particular hardcore or punk, there are a lot of bands that move me, whether it be socially, politically, or personally based i try and fill my ears with music that means something more than just the decibels pulsing through the speakers towards my ears. For me, punk was always about this, as much as there were certain records that i can say without a doubt helped me deal with growing up i always gravitated towards music that was solely agitated by how twisted the world is, music that not only witnessed this but sought to change it. There are very few records that can actually push a person to do something, to take legitimate action regardless of the cost and Verse's latest LP Aggression is one of them.

Verse has been one of my favorite bands since they formed, there is something so urgent in their music that is hard for me to ignore. Having listened to their previous efforts, Rebuild and From Anger and Rage thoroughly enough to be able to recite almost any lyric i can comfortably say that Aggression is their most complete, most thoughtful, and most powerful release to date. Each and every song and each and every word are played and sung like it's the last note or the last word ever to be produced.

The record starts urgent and pleading with A New Fury which highlights the devastating plight of our lives if we actually sit back and watch what's taking place, it ends with the words, " But they'll never silence me as long as i can breath". Those words and others like it are why this band is worth listening to, you can see the hopelessness, but if your not willing to fight it until there's nothing left of you, you may as well not know at all. Another moment of inexplicable will is witnessed in the song Scream, when after going over the defeats of others who haven't been willing to settle, vocalist Sean Murphy's insightful yell is heard exclaiming the words "But as long as my heart keeps beating. I still can't stop screaming. Silence. Is Violence. I'm Bending. I'm Breaking. I'm Broken. I'm still alive."

There are many moments on this record that have the potential to push stagnant minds into action, none more powerful than the album finale, Sons and Daughters. This song is really a recap of everything that's been said throughout the entire album, although it seems to say it even more powerfully than before. As the song slows to a halt the word Aggression is chanted with impassioned messages in between, culminating in the words "I won't stop until I've broken every chain" yelled until it seems every ounce of conviction has left the singers body.

I didn't make any mention of the musical qualities of this record, the words are more important, although the music is good, really good, the lyrics are overshadowing and in my opinion that's the way it should be. Most importantly this record isn't about rebellion, or angst, it's about truth and it's hovering very close to what i believe is the answer. The hard part is making the necessary sacrifices to be able to make a difference and this record can surely provide solace and motivation for those wishing to do so.

Pick this record up from Rivalry Records (In my opinion the best hardcore/punk label going right now) here.

Currently Listening - Verse - From Anger and Rage

2 comments:

Mike said...

Dude, that was an awesome review. Seriously, your best yet. You deserve a friends press of Agression for that piece of writing.

xroldx said...

Couldn't have said it any better Tyler. At first I thought Agression was less catchy as From Anger And Rage, but after a couple of more listens the songs really kicked in.