Thursday, November 30, 2006

What Is Freedom?

I've been writing an absurd amount lately, none of it really makes sense. I took some of the more cohesive parts of probably 5 or 6 pages of writing and tried to make them into something. I read an essay by some dude named Emerson for my philosophy course. He talked about a struggle against conformity and consistency as something that is necessary to be free. I tried to write this to come across as saying I'd rather live a struggle than be dead inside.
I looked you in the eyes and felt so alone
You left me to struggle on my own
I know the only ones who can see this through
Are the ones who believe in not settling for second best

Second best is all you’ll ever be
If you’ve taught me one thing
It’s that in order to fit into this world
You have to give your life away
Tie your lifeless body and let the vultures pick at the decay
Now I’m glad that I cant’ see your face
Cus I refuse to sell myself short
Assimilate, conform and waste away

If I can’t stand up under the weight of these burdens, if I don’t struggle
I’ll end up just like them
Like the ones who came before me
Who gave in and didn’t second guess
The ones who couldn’t teach me
Because they didn’t know themselves
The ones that I refuse to follow
Cus I’m sick and tired of letting aspirations fade into tomorrow

To the ones who won’t conform
To the ones who wont give in
Don’t let this world bring you down

Cus I don’t want to have to look you in the eyes one day
And see that you no longer hope because your soul has decayed
I don’t wanna have to be the one to say
“Your time has come, turn around and walk away”

No comments: